1. It was first designed by Louis Reard, and named after an atoll where atomic testing had taken place. Actually, the original one was rather unattractive.
2. French Actress Brigitte Bardot gave it significant exposure at Cannes in 1953.
3. In 1960, a novelty song "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" caused sales to soar,
4. A Pope came out against the bikini after a contestant, Kiki Hakansson, wore one at a Miss World competition. The bikini made no further appearances.
5. This dental floss-style was developed by model Rose De Primallio.
6. Florida banned thong bikinis from its beaches in 1990.
7. The string bikini has become the most common style nowadays.