Monday, July 16, 2018

Kimonos

I wish there was an excuse for wearing a kimono in public. They're so feminine and elegant!  However, wearing one in Tennessee or New Orleans (my two venues) is hardly practical.

Many people would misinterpret my wearing one as appearing in public in a bathrobe!  If I were to do that back home in New Orleans, I would qualify as a bona fide New Orleans eccentric, like Ignatius Reilly from A Confederacy of Dunces or Blanche Du Bois, from A Streetcar Named Desire.

I don't make the age requirement to be a New Orleans eccentric for a while yet. But there is a reservation for one more in my family!  Anyway, there's always room for high-maintenance eccentrics in New Orleans. And we always depend on the kindness of strangers!

Another nagging thought: If I were to wear a kimono, would that be committing the grievous sin of cultural appropriation? Oh well, maybe I should just wear a beach jacket instead! Maybe the lesser sin is to appear the slob!






10 comments:

Mike said...

I'm sure the komono community has culture appropriated something of ours over time. I say go for it!

MarkD60 said...

You could wear a kimono dragon costume.

Chuck the Grumpy Cat said...

Screw the notion of cultural appropriation. If you want to wear it, then do so!

Cloudia said...

You'd look good! They were seen every day in historic Honolulu, and sometimes still are in Waikiki (in connection to some tea ceremony for Japanese tourists, I assume.)

" I don't make the age requirement to be a New Orleans eccentric for a while yet. But there is a reservation for one more in my family! Anyway, there's always room for high-maintenance eccentrics in New Orleans. And we always depend on the kindness of strangers!"

You have something to look forward too!

Linda Kay said...

Good to see your post, my friend. I love the look of kimonos, and have a friend who would dare to wear one, having spent many years living in Japan.

Deena said...

On wearing a kimono: go for it!

Elvis Wearing a Bra on His Head said...

You would look great in the kimono.

Birgit said...

Considering many wear Pajama bottoms out while shopping, I think a Kimono is elegant and beautiful. I would wear one

John A Hill said...

Be honest, Angel.
How often do you go out looking like a slob?
My guess is that it isn't often and it would require quite an effort for you to look like a slob.

Bilbo said...

As a practicing eccentric, my advice to you is to wear what you want as long as it meets the picket fence test: protecting the property while enhancing the view.