Wednesday, July 11, 2018

BOTB: Angel of the Morning

I recently heard this song and found it to be surprisingly risqué considering the time it first came out back in the 1960's. Apparently, it was first offered for Connie Francis but she found it didn't fit in with her clean-cut image.  Chip Taylor wrote this song; and the version by Merrilee Rush and the Turnabouts and the Turnabouts charted #7 when it first came out in 1968. Enjoy!



Years later (1981), Juice Newton recorded a country pop version, which really made it big time. 





ABBA also covered it around the same time:



But there were numerous ones. Apparently, the time was ripe for a song about a woman's feelings about a one night stand. So there we have it for this one. So which one pleased you best (if any): Merrilee Rush's, Juice Newton's, or ABBA's? I hope this BOTB session pleases . . . .

8 comments:

Mike said...

I remember the first one but not the other two. But me being me, I'd never really listened to the words that closely. So I vote for number one because it's the one I remember musically wise.

Cloudia said...

Yeah, the first is from my small kid days. Music [including lyrics] taught me a LOT about life and what it was about. Some of it was true. But regardless, my musician 'chops' were formed at a great time with awesome musicality and new sounds showing up regularly. From 'how much is that doggy in the window' and perry como to chuck berry maybelline and the beatles and beach boys and.... house of the rising sun.......venus goddess of love that you are.....

Mariette said...

I'm divided between the first two.

Elvis Wearing a Bra on His Head said...

1. Merrilee
2. Juice
3. ABBA

John Holton said...

The original was so good, but Juice Newton did it so great, so I'm going with her for the win...

Incidentally, a bunch of us do Battles of the Bands on the 1st and 15th of the month; if you'd like to join us, the guy who runs it is Stephen McCarthy (http://stmccpresentsbattleofthebands.blogspot.com). We'd love to have you join us!

Grand Crapaud said...

I'll go with the Merrilee Rush endeavor.

BTW, Olivia Newton-John also did a cover of that song.

Big Sky Heidi said...

ABBA's version did it for me.

Duckbutt said...

I preferred the Merrilee Rush version to the other two.