Monday, March 5, 2018

National Absinthe Day

Today, March 5th, is National Absinthe Day. Absinthe is a spirit that had been well-associated with artists and writers in the Nineteenth century. It has been referred to as The Green Fairy (La Fée Verte).  It was banned for almost a hundred years in France and the United States; but has again been legal since 2007. 

There are several myths about absinthe. However, these are not supported by evidence. It's not a hallucinogenic. Ii doesn't have to be flambéd on a sugar cube, or any of the other bizarre notions that have come up. 

It has a licorice flavor.



Absinthe has been associated with New Orleans mixology with the historic Old Absinthe House, where General Andrew Jackson met with the pirate Jean Lafitte and enlisted the Baratarian Battery of cannoneers toward the end of the War of 1812. 

It was originally an ingredient in the Sazerac, the original New Orleans cocktail.


Edgar Degas, The Absinthe Drinker




9 comments:

John A Hill said...

Hmmm...
I might have to see if I can find some so I can properly observe the day.

Cloudia said...

Glad to see you and that Green Faery!

Elvis Wearing a Bra on His Head said...

The Sazerac is a very potent beverage! Absinthe is not sold in Alabama, to my knowledge.

Mike said...

I think I've heard of it but never had any.

Grand Crapaud said...

The absinthe frappe is another nice absinthe drink.

Jono said...

Lots of mystery and myth surrounding it. Might have to try some. I am a lightweight in the alcohol consumption department (cheap date) and it might be nearly hallucinogenic for me.

allenwoodhaven said...

I know of it, but have never tried any. Interesting post. Love the Green Faery!

Bilbo said...

I'm like most of the others - I've heard of absinthe, but never had any. I'd always sort of thought that absinthe referred to the condition of not being prethent in a particular location.

Mike said...

I wasn't thinking of punning but since Bilbo started it...
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.