Monday, March 19, 2018

Iko Iko

This song is a bit late -- consider it a Mardi Gras-themed song. It was recorded by the Dixie Cups back in 1965, and is one of the old-fashioned New Orleans songs. This YouTube recording includes the lyrics.

What it's about is a mock confrontation between two New Orleans Mardi Gras Indian Tribes. (Also see the Wikipedia version if you prefer). The New Orleans Indiana are about 35 tribes, more or less, who parade on Mardi Gras Day.

Setting fire to another tribe's flag is the height of disrespecting them, and likely to result in a fight!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it!





7 comments:

Cloudia said...

Thanks Angel;
A personal fave I liked back in the late 80's when someone covered it. Thanks for the background which I actually suspected (being a Treme fan)

Duckbutt said...

I remember this oldie. Thanks for the background.

Mike said...

I haven't heard this song in a long time. But I think the one I remember was done by Captain Jack.

Grand Crapaud said...

I like the song.

Jono said...

I remember the song from back in the day, but never knew what it was about. Thanks!

Kristen Drittsekkdatter said...

That is one strange song.

Arlee Bird said...

I remember when this song came out. For me, Mardi Gras passed by this year with barely a notice. But I rarely pay much attention to Mardi Gras.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out (A)