Monday, November 20, 2017

A Little Miscommunication

Cordie Mae Wilson, who ran a gas station and gift shop in Southern Mississippi, hired Brenda, a girl from Jones County to run her store some of the time. Things mostly worked out; but since the store was smack dab long side of I-59, sometimes Brenda had communication issues.

You see, I-59 was the main interstate highway going diagonally through Southern Mississippi, and lots of tourists pass through daily. Cordie Mae got a lot of business with them; and learned over time to understand what they were saying. Or trying to say.

Brenda had a lot to learn also.

For instance, some guy from Massachuetts came in and asked to buy some pee cans. Brenda was a bit amazed; and told the fellow that using their rest rooms were gratis; and what's more, they were cleaned twice a day and even had pot potpourri that her Granny homemade.

Still, the guy got more confused. Brenda thought, 'Wow! This guy has to go real bad or is going to do some serious travelin.'

Along came Cordie Mae. She learned enough tourist English in her time to become halfway proficient in talking with them. Matter of fact, she coulda taught a class in Tourist English at the college if needed.

So Cordie Mae said, "Brenda, sell him a sack of nuts!" And said, "Mister, no offense; but we call 'em pecans (pronounced puh-kawns) 'round these parts!"


Pecans (pronounced puh-kawns)

So harmony on I-59 was restored. Cordie Mae even gave the Massachusetts guy a slice of pecan pie.

And that tourist also took advantage of the cleanest restroom in Pearl River County.


Pronunciation of pecan map

10 comments:

Hell Hound said...

The pronounce them differently in the North.

John A Hill said...

It's a traveling bonus to have clean restrooms along the way!

Mike said...

Pi-kahns (short i)

Jono said...

Fortunately for me I only had to change the accent when I moved from my boyhood home to the Midwest. Nothing like finding a nice clean place along the way to poop.

Cloudia said...

What if he asked for soda?!

Big Sky Heidi said...

Yep, they say it that way down there?

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Cloudia, he might have gotten NaHCO3!

Stephen T. McCarthy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephen T. McCarthy said...

I sincerely apologize. It's none of my business how you choose to spend your time and talent. And I struggle enough just trying to live up to my own God-given potential.

I hope you have a nice Thanksgiving, a merry Christmas, and a happy New Year!

Adios,

~ D-FensDogG
'Loyal American Underground'

allenwoodhaven said...

Well told!

Having lived in Florida for awhile, I learned of this difference in pronunciation. An old original Floridian told me one was a nut and the other was something you slipped under the bed.