Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Stripper Names

People can sometimes form or possess very specific concepts or schemas despite a very small amount of input into forming them.  I use as my example the apparent fact that a lot of people have a definite idea of what kind of name a strip teaser or lap dancer would probably have, despite an absence of direct, personal experience with those settings.

It may be surprising to some, but apparently people do form schemas with regard to personal names.  Naomi, Sakura, and Kirsten are exotic.    Bernadette and Marie are Catholic.  Jennifer, Heather, and Karen are girls next door.  Tammy and Peggy Sue are Southern or maybe Texan, and so forth. 

The same applies to what people think of "strippers' names.  To find examples of these, I found two lists purporting to be of the top ten stripper names:

‘Top Ten Stripper Names'

1.  Candy
2.  Destiny
3.  Star
4.  Amber
5.  Tiffany
6.  Sabrina
7.  Coco
8.  Raven
9.  Jade
10. After a city in The United States (e.g. Houston, Dallas)

1.  Destiny
2.  Candy
3.  Angel
4.  Cherry
5.  Raven
6.  Anastasia
7.  Roxy
8.  Houston
9.  Porsche
10.  Crystal

I'm not sure what sort of rigor was used in arriving at them, but it seems apparent that there are some schemas for this category of name.  The idea of a stripper named Catherine or Elizabeth seems rather far-fetched, I suppose.

Destiny, Candy, and Raven made both lists.  I humbly suggest that conscientious mothers refrain from naming their daughters those names or, alternatively, signing them up for stripping classes at the Rec Department.  (I hope there are no cities that offer this tacky type of course, but I am not confident.  Maybe in Las Vegas.)

I noticed something.  The name Angel made one of the lists.  Since my name is Angel, maybe I have an alternative career path instead of being a psychology professor or superheroine?


Stripper superheroines














 
 

13 comments:

Big Sky Heidi said...

Who would name a daughter Porsche? A stripper or pageant mom would!

Dianne said...

I went to school with a girl named Candy
just Candy, not short for anything
I ran into her years later and she was calling herself Candice
when I asked why she said because a resume advisor told her Candy was a stripper name

Clarissa said...

What it comes to is that stripper names are déclassé names.

bakku-shan said...

Just use your full first name, Angelique, rather than the shortened form, and it comes out sounding classy.

Mike said...

Names? Strippers have names?

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Heidi -- I agree; it's a poor choice.

Dianne -- It sounded like good advice, but I like the name Candy myself.

Bakkushan -- I sometimes use the long version, but other people shorten it.

Clarissa -- Stripper names are often that.

Mike -- Yes, the name performers do. And sometimes they use their real names.

Elvis Wearing a Bra on His Head said...

Wasn't there a cartoon character, Striperella?

Kristen Drittsekkdatter said...

I'm pleased to report that we have no strippers in Bemidji.

Françoise said...

Those do sound like stripper's names.

Bilbo said...

I wonder if there is an equivalent list of names for male exotic dancers ... it would probably contain names like Lance, Rod, Woody and - to provide a partner for Porsche - Dodger Ram.

Hell Hound said...

A stripper's nom de stage is part of her charm. She chooses on that is evocative of the mystery in her art.

Jon Frum said...

I enjoyed reading about strippers names,

Unseen India Tours said...

Awesome !

www.unseenindia.us